Download the Sample Code
Many experiences designed for Media Center require additional client side code installations (for example: ActiveX controls). Interacting with a setup program launched from Media Center typically requires the user to respond to at least one Windows security warning and setup wizards designed to be used with a keyboard and mouse.
The Media Center API provides a special method called CreateDesktopShortcut which aids transition from Media Center to a web browser and interaction by keyboard and / or mouse. Media Center displays the following dialog when developers invoke the CreateDesktopShortcut method. The option for 'Open Website in Browser' is not shown on Media Center Extenders.
Here is the outline for a typical installation which the sample code illustrates…
- Detect if the needed components are installed. If not, inform the user of the prerequisite and continue.
- Determine the version of Media Center. [Media Center 2004 doesn’t include the CreateDesktopShortcut method, so slightly different handling is needed.]
- Determine if the user is at the Media Center PC or connecting via remote desktop (including Media Center Extender).
- If on a remote desktop connection, determine if from a Media Center Extender. Media Center Extender users will need to return to the Media Center PC to install components.
- Make sure you exit DirectX exclusive mode in Media Center before launching the external browser window or setup program.
- For Media Center 2005 users (including those on a Media Center Extender) call the CreateDesktopShortcut method to launch a browser window (on the Media Center Extender this method will prompt them to create a shortcut on the desktop).
- For Media Center 2004 users, load the installation web page directly in Media Center (make sure you have the IsMCEEnabled function in the page to avoid the ‘Not Designed for Media Center’ warning).
- Give great, easy to follow instructions for the install, including directions so the consumer can easily get back to the Media Center experience after the install.